House Hunters

I believe a Christian needs regular reminders that they are saved by grace through faith which is a gift from God SO THAT success, talents, abilities, and their own morality do not become false idols leading them away from the finished work of Christ. I've seen many Christians slip out of faith into works-righteous living without even realizing it. David almost does that here in 2 Samuel 7.

David is at rest in 2 Samuel 7. He is also secured by his many military victories and successful campaigns politically. It's the first time since Goliath we have seen him have a moment to breathe. He considers what to do in this new season and sees the Ark resting in a tent while he enjoyed paneled walls of Cedar.
2 Samuel 7:1–3 (ESV) Now when the king lived in his house and the LORD had given him rest from all his surrounding enemies, 2 the king said to Nathan the prophet, “See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells in a tent.” 3 And Nathan said to the king, “Go, do all that is in your heart, for the LORD is with you.”

You have to give David credit here. He's not using his peace and rest for self-absorption or material pleasures. He has a noble and honorable goal to put God's Ark in a proper house. But could it be a trap he may not see?

Nathan is there to support David. He is also a man who tells David the truth on more than one occasion even when it's hard. We need people like this in our lives.
2 Samuel 7:4–7 (ESV) But that same night the word of the LORD came to Nathan, 5 “Go and tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the LORD: Would you build me a house to dwell in? 6 I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent for my dwelling. 7 In all places where I have moved with all the people of Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?” ’

God makes a few things very clear to David through Nathan in this passage. First, God is not in NEED of David's production for Him. He is the maker of Heaven and Earth. Anything David would create is UNABLE and UNFIT to house Him. Second, God is the one who has shaped and made David, David does not make or shape the Almighty. I know David knew this. But contextually we should note that David's ambition may also be shaped by the surrounding nations whose king's had great palaces and whose "gods" had impressive temples. David may be thinking, "I need an impressive temple for our God like all the other kings have for their gods."

Moving on, the Lord further stipulates:

2 Samuel 7:8–10 (ESV) Now, therefore, thus you shall say to my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you should be prince over my people Israel. 9 And I have been with you wherever you went and have cut off all your enemies from before you. And I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth. 10 And I will appoint a place for my people Israel and will plant them, so that they may dwell in their own place and be disturbed no more. And violent men shall afflict them no more, as formerly,

The Lord reminds David that he was saved and called by God's grace and choosing. David's life was the work of the Lord. He took him and formed him for princely status. This was God's prerogative.  Even now, God is doing something through David.

This little reminder David receives is INCREDIBLY important for successful people and especially successful/moral Christians. You are not "self-made". Not ever. Every breath is a gift from God and every day is a new measure of His grace. You are saved by grace and GROW in grace. It is also the grace of God that teaches you to say no to worldly passions (Titus 2:10). If you do not deepen your trust in the Gospel that saves you, you will start to trust the performance of your Christian life. Before you know it, God owes you. God hasn't done enough for you. And you're angry or "dissappointed with Him." This is so toxic to our Christian walk.

Finally, the Lord tells David that the people of Israel are HIS responsibility and David is a tool in the Lord's hands to accomplish His purpose. The next section affirms this reality:

2 Samuel 7:12–13 (ESV) When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.

So what is the lesson? We are the trophies of our Creator. We reflect His amazing work to the world. Yes, we should aim to please Him and follow Him, but let us not replace our sincere gratitude and love for Him with a sense of accomplishment and entitlement. David receives this word well from Nathan. Will we?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God’s View of You

Worship Attacked

Leaders Who Later Fail